The following list of books includes mostly in-print volumes but may also include some of the
more important out-of-print books.
Arkham House Publishers, Inc.
– Arkham House is the definitive source for Lovecraft’s fiction and letters. His
stories have been edited and corrected by S.T. Joshi based on Lovecraft’s original
autograph and typewritten manuscripts. These editions are attractive and inexpensive hardbacks
which will provide reading enjoyment for years to come.
Ballantine’s paperback editions of Lovecraft’s fiction provide an excellent
introduction to the newcomer to Lovecraft. Although most of these texts are not the versions
corrected by S.T. Joshi, they are readily available at most bookstores. The first three volumes
listed are large collections which contain all the stories in the later, smaller volumes, and
more as well.
Barnes & Noble
Carroll & Graf
– Arkham House’s The Horror in the Museum and Other
was printed by Carroll & Graf in the two paperback editions listed below.
However, only The Loved Dead and Other Revisions
includes the texts corrected by S.T.
Joshi. Carroll & Graf also published The Lurker at the Threshold
and The Watchers
Out of Time
under Lovecraft’s name, despite the fact that they are actually by August
Dell’s entry into the field of Lovecraft, The Annotated H.P. Lovecraft
, is marketed
as “literature.” Hear, hear!
The H.P. Lovecraft Historical
The Library of America
Liveright (W.W. Norton & Company, Inc.)
- The Ancient Track: The Complete Poetical Works of H.P. Lovecraft
(second revised edition)
- The Annotated Supernatural Horror in Literature
- Collected Essays, Volume 1: Amateur Journalism
- Collected Essays, Volume 2: Literary Criticism
- Collected Essays, Volume 3: Science
- Collected Essays, Volume 4: Travel
- Collected Essays, Volume 5: Philosophy; Autobiography &
- Collected Fiction, A Variorum Edition, Volume 1:
- Collected Fiction, A Variorum Edition, Volume 2:
- Collected Fiction, A Variorum Edition, Volume 3:
- Collected Fiction, A Variorum Edition, Volume 4:
Revisions and Collaborations
- Dawnward Spire, Lonely Hill: The Letters of H. P. Lovecraft and Clark
- Essential Solitude: The Letters of H.P. Lovecraft and August
- Eyes of the God: The Weird Fiction and Poetry of R.H.
- From the Pest Zone: The New York Stories
- Fungi from Yuggoth: An Annotated Edition
- H.P. Lovecraft: Letters to Alfred Galpin
- H.P. Lovecraft: Letters to C. L. Moore and Others
- H.P. Lovecraft: Letters to Elizabeth Toldridge & Anne Tillery
- H.P. Lovecraft: Letters to F. Lee Baldwin, Duane W. Rimel, and Nils
- H.P. Lovecraft: Letters to J. Vernon Shea, Carl F. Strauch, and Lee
- H.P. Lovecraft: Letters to James F. Morton
- H.P. Lovecraft: Letters to Maurice W. Moe and Others
- H.P. Lovecraft: Letters to Rheinhart Kleiner
- H.P. Lovecraft: Letters to Robert Bloch and Others
- H.P. Lovecraft: Letters to Wilfred B. Talman and Helen V. and
- H.P. Lovecraft: Letters with Donald and Howard Wandrei and to Emil
- Lord of a Visible World: An Autobiography in
- A Means to Freedom: The Letters of H. P. Lovecraft and Robert E.
- The Shadow out of Time: The Corrected Text
Necronomicon Press is a small publisher in Rhode Island which prints some of Lovecraft’s
more obscure, but nonetheless important, works.
Night Shade Books
Oxford University Press
Sporting Gentlemen Publishers
University of Tampa Press