By Kenneth W. Faig, Jr.
Back Cover Text
For nearly forty years, Kenneth W. Faig, Jr. has been a leading authority on Lovecraft. He has
devoted his career to probing obscure corners of Lovecraft’s life, and the life of his
immediate and distant ancestors. In this hefty collection of essays written over many years, Faig
presents the results of his diligent research. We find an exhaustive account of Lovecraft’s
paternal and maternal ancestry; a detailed investigation of his grandfather’s work with the
Owyhee Land and Irrigation Company; studies of Lovecraft’s involvement in amateur journalism;
and two substantial essays on the life and work of Lovecraft’s literary executor, Robert H.
Barlow. Not content to study Lovecraft’s life, Faig has written sensitive essays on such
Lovecraft stories as “The Silver Key,” “He,” and The Dream-Quest of
Unknown Kadath. Cumulatively, The Unknown Lovecraft presents more information on
Lovecraft the man and writer than any volume published in years.
Kenneth W. Faig, Jr. is a pioneering scholar on H.P. Lovecraft. Among his previous books are
H.P. Lovecraft: His Life, His Work (1979) and The Parents of Howard Phillips
Lovecraft (1990). He has contributed to the Dark Brotherhood Journal, Nyctalops,
Lovecraft Studies, and other journals.
- Lovecraft: Artist or Poseur?
- Quae Amamus Teumur: Ancestors in Lovecraft’s Life and Fiction
- Whipple V. Phillips and the Owyhee Land and Irrigation Company
- Lovecraft’s Parental Heritage
- The Friendship of Louise Imogen Guiney and Sarah Susan Phillips
- The Unknown Lovecraft I: Political Operative
- The Unknown Lovecraft II: Reluctant Laureate
- Lovecraft’s “He”
- “The Silver Key” and Lovecraft’s Childhood
- The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath
- Lovecraft’s Unknown Friend: Dudley Charles Newton
- R. H. Barlow
- Robert H. Barlow as H.P. Lovecraft’s Literary Executor: An Appreciation
- Some Final Thoughts for Readers of This Collection
The Unknown Lovecraft. By Kenneth W. Faig, Jr. New York, NY: Hippocampus Press; 2009;
ISBN 978-0-9814888-7-5; softcover; 256 pages.
Purchasing This Book
This book may be purchased in softcover from Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, or Half.com or directly from the publisher, Hippocampus Press.